Fungus, moss, and algae can damage your roof through shingle deterioration and wood rot. To help make sure your roof stays secure, clean your roof once a year. Even if you don't currently see organic growth, annual cleaning will help prevent it from taking hold. Keep reading to learn about how to clear fungus, moss, and algae off your asphalt shingles.
1. Purchase a cleaner from the hardware store. Make sure to pick one that's environmentally friendly. Professional pressure washing specialists tailor their mixes to the specific roof they're cleaning, but for DIY purposes, a premade one should be fine.
You'll also need to buy or rent a pressure washer to apply the cleaner. The goal is to work from the ladder and not have to walk onto the roof. In order to do this, you need a pressure washer.
2. Set up your work area. First, water the surrounding landscape. The idea is to dilute any runoff from the roof. A general rule of thumb is that plants with thinner leaves require more water.
Next, set up your ladder. Be sure to put it on a hard surface and don't lean it against the gutter. Add the cleaner to the pressure washer's reservoir. To apply the cleaner, you'll use the black nozzle. Be sure to keep the pressure setting below 150 pounds per square inch (PSI).
3. Start applying the cleaner from top to bottom in overlapping arches. Don't use an excessive amount of cleaner -- one layer should be plenty. Resist the urge to add more of it to dirty spots. Let the cleaner do its work for the next 30 minutes or so. If you still see stains after this time, you can add one more dose of cleaner.
4. As the cleaner does its work, you might notice white residue forming. This is the organic growth being removed from the shingles. Afterward, you can leave the cleaner in place for the next rainstorm to wash away. Or you can rinse it off using the green nozzle of the pressure washer, again with pressure below 150 PSI.
5. At this point, you should be finished. Easier said than done? If you'd rather have professionals clean the fungus off your roof, call Majestic Power Washing. We're experts at washing asphalt shingles, clay tiles, and more. To get a free estimate, call us today!
We Offer A Full Range Of Services For Cleveland Homes And Businesses
At Majestic Power Washing, our pressure washing is perfect for revitalizing your property exteriors. It can be used to lots of projects, including:
- House washing: Want to make your siding gleam? Our house washing cleans stucco, vinyl, fiber-cement siding, and more.
- Fence cleaning: Cleaning a fence is a time-consuming process, so leave it to the pros instead. We clean picket fences, wrought iron, and others.
- Storefront cleaning: Make your business stand out with a storefront cleaning. We'll eliminate dust, old gum, and other impurities.
When you choose Majestic Power Washing, you're getting the best customer service in the business. If you're ready to see how pressure washing and soft washing can help you, call us now for a same-day quote!
Exterior Cleaning Tips & Articles
Keeping your Cleveland business looking good all year long comes with challenges. The weather and other elements can really do a number on outdoor exteriors. Whether you own a store, office, or resta […]
Brick exteriors give buildings a classic appeal that can't be beat. As with all surfaces, they need to be cleaned from time to time. Besides the normal dirt and grime, mineral deposits can also form […]